installing insulation backwards

Old 02-11-03, 11:36 AM
Libor
Visiting Guest
installing insulation backwards

This spring, I will be ripping off my exterior clapboard siding down to the studs and replacing with new siding. I would like to put in R-13 insulation while I have the walls open.

I can definitely place in the insulation in the cavaties with the kraft paper facing toward the interior. But I won't be able to staple the paper against the studs, since I'll still have interior walls in place. So there won't be a completely impermeable vapor barrier facing inward. Is this something I should worry about?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 09:24 PM
Most of your wall cavities will hold the insulation in place on the sides by friction. Those cavities that either are larger and/or smaller, where you either have to cut to subtract or add more insulation to fit the cavity, is where you might have difficulty concerning the vapor barrier. In this case you can either tape 6 mil plastic to either the insulation and then install the insulation or you can tape or staple the 6 mil plastic first inside the cavity and then install the insulation. The idea here is to get 100% coverage. The plaster walls with several layers of paint will act as a vapor barrier and air barrier. So in a way you have several layers of protection against heat condensing inside the walls.