Insulation

Old 02-12-03, 12:11 PM
Walleye1
Visiting Guest
Insulation

Hello,

I'm new this post and I really think its very well organized. Well the reason I'm posting this message is that I have a problem in my basement and I'm looking for any suggestions. My house is only two years old and this is the first winter that I am living in it. The problem that I have is my basement foundation wall has moisture in the SW corner. So I pulled back the batting insulation between the sill plate and the box sill and found that the insulation was frozen to the box sill in many places throughout the basement. I live in Wisconsin and It's very cold here this winter. I was wondering if I would pull out all the insulation and glue some styrofoam to the box sill and seal off this area and then put back the batting insulation would this solve my problems.

Thanks in advance,
Martin

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-03, 02:05 PM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Hey Walleye1,

First and foremost, you need to determine the source for the moisture that you are seeing, i.e., is it from water from the outside of the house getting in, or is it water vapor in the air inside of the house condensing in the insulation as the air passes through it. Any "fix" that disregards the source of the problem is prolly ill-advised.

Are there any obvious holes through which water or moisture laden air could pass, i.e., wires running through the wall from inside to outside, a visible crack or seperation between the foundation and the sill plate or sill plate and rim joist, etc. ??

Old 02-12-03, 09:23 PM
Walleye1
Visiting Guest
Brewbeer,

I dont see any defects in the foundation or walls. My house has a wrap around porch that is covered by an 8ft overhang roof. The only thing that I see as a problem is that the porch is attached to the box sill plate with anchor bolt that stick through the box sill and there is ice buildup on the bolts along with the box sill plate. I really believe it's moisture in the air that is condensing at the coldest point in the basement. My thinking was to seal the box sill plate with glueing styrofoam and fill the cracks with great stuff insulation and this would eliminate the chance for condensation. Do you think this will work? Also if it doesn't will I be trapping moisture behind the styrofoam and risking the chance for the box sill to rot away over time?

Any more suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Martin

Old 02-13-03, 06:43 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
Can you get under your porch? If you can fit under there, I think I would try to insulate the rim joist and foundation wall externally with rigid insulation & great stuff, and see if that fixes the problem.