Double vapor barrier question

Old 02-14-03, 03:03 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Double vapor barrier question

I'm in the process of doing a complete "gut job" on a bedroom. I'll be replacing the old blow-in insulation with batts. My understanding is that a plastic vapor barrier is better than the Kraft facing; however, I'll be using Kraft-faced batts rather than unfaced because they are less expensive at the local lumberyard.

Here's my question: Will using plastic sheeting along with the faced batts cause any problems? I can't see why they would, but I just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-03, 08:38 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
There isn't a problem with installing the plastic over the kraft faced insulation. Why your local supply store sells faced insulation less than unfaced makes me wonder why. May I suggest that you shop around and even search the web for some, you might be able to get it even cheaper than what your local supply store sells it.

Old 02-15-03, 06:09 AM
D
Resercon, thanks for your reply.

My original post may have been misleading. The kraft faced insulation isn't cheaper per square foot; the difference is that for some reason the stores in the area don't carry unfaced insulation in rolls under 150 square feet, and I can get faced in 50 SF rolls. Since I only need about 80 SF, the total cost for faced will be less than unfaced.

Old 02-18-03, 01:49 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Why use an insulation that is less than 10% eff., loses up to 50% of its "R" value, is carcenogenic, condensates moisture by the buckets, stinks and can cause serious mold problems?

I would recommend a 97% eff. raniant barrier sys. Has none of the problems and will make you house more comfortable and cheaper to heat and cool.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Old 02-19-03, 09:05 AM
darianw
Visiting Guest
Hello Rbisys,

Are you commenting on the insulation itself or the type of barrier? (I'm new to insulation and barriers, sorry if this seems like a stupid question.)

Which insulation do you recommend that's more efficient and retains in R value, etc., etc.?

Do you mean *radiant* barrier? Also, do you have any links to sites that sell or have info on it?

Thanks,
Darian.

Originally posted by rbisys
Greetings,

Why use an insulation that is less than 10% eff., loses up to 50% of its "R" value, is carcenogenic, condensates moisture by the buckets, stinks and can cause serious mold problems?

I would recommend a 97% eff. raniant barrier sys. Has none of the problems and will make you house more comfortable and cheaper to heat and cool.

Old 02-20-03, 07:55 AM
lou s.
Visiting Guest
Duster,as long as it'll fit,use r-30 faced batts.As long as there is at least a foot of clearance,you'll be just fine with such a small area.Don't "double up" you're vapor barriers-that's a NO-NO!They come in 4ft. pre-cut batts,50 ft. per bag-2 bags will do you just fine.

Old 02-21-03, 03:25 PM
rbisys
Visiting Guest
Greetings,

Lou, if you can provide ligetimate testing data show'g that an "R" 30 batt gets "R" 30 in the installed condition, I'll pay for your next job, labor and material.

Old 02-21-03, 04:22 PM
insulation

Try this www and see just what our government thinks about RB over FG. You get a pay back with FG you dont with RB

http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/radiant/rb_02 ED

Old 02-21-03, 09:54 PM
lou s.
Visiting Guest
Rbisys,I don't want to start an arguement here,but I'm curious as to the big deal you keep hinting to about radiant batts.I work for Gale Industries,the nations largest contractor,have for 14 yrs.,Certainteed Certified installer,and now am going for Master I nstaller.We're up in Chicago suburbs,and honestly,the only "radiant batts" we have used were only some "special" Owens Corning batts that were used in conjuction with the radiant floor heat(water heated from beneath floor-these batts were installed just below to create a "superior" heating system)I have been head man on both B.I.B.s systems(loose fill fiberglass on ext.walls),and for the wet spray on cellulose systems.Now by a guess,I'm willing to bet you are talking about a more costly,less used product that probably costs too much for people to pay attention to.I.E.,the spray on foam that goes for about twice the price,or the denim/cotton insulation.I'm not saying you are wrong about this product,because like the old saying goes"insulation is the only trade you pay for that is designed to save you money-not cost you money" With the r-30 batts,ya know,everything does what it should in a perfect world,or situation.But as for an 80 sq. ft. addition,homeowner job,I'd throw in r-30 batts,and wouldn't even think twice about it.If it was mine,I'd have it blown in,but I wouldn't have to pay for it.Like I said,not argueing here,just stating that I've been around the block here,and am curious as to what this "R-B" is all about.