Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Garage Ceiling Insulation

Visiting Guest

02-17-03, 01:15 PM   #1  
gotsol
Garage Ceiling Insulation

Hello:

I am in my first home and need some help.

My master bathroom is above my garage and it gets quite cold in there.

Can I install insulation in the ceiling of the garage without tearing down the exisiting sheet rock? I was thinking of blowing it up there via holes I would cut in the ceiling in incriments. Any comments would be very helpful.

Also, I need to do this on the cheep. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Forum Topic Moderator

WA

02-17-03, 03:21 PM   #2  
Depending on the age of the home, I bet there is insulation there. Cap you cut aa small hole in the sheetrock and take a look?

Mike
Retired Real Estate Broker
Home Remodeler
Do it Yourselfer

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 05:15 AM   #3  
gotsol
the house was built in 1991. I will look for insulation, but it is still cold above it. any suggestions to help that?

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 01:28 PM   #4  
rbisys
Greetings,

A 1991 house probably has insulation in the floor. Problem is that they probably used FG and FG is less than 10% effienct.

You can install a 97% efficient radaint barrier (RB) system on the drywall. If you don't mind looks you can install1x2 strips and install a bubble foil RB.

If you want dry wall install a thin type RB to the existing drywall, then 1x2 strips, then drywall. Let droop slightly.

The other problem you have is the outside edges. If the house is sided then you can remove the siding at those areas and install a thin type RB over those surfaces and re install the siding.
If you can't remove siding then you may have to remove drywall along those sections and then install RB from inside. Then as above.
If there is too much exposed area and the seams are not sealed then you will have cold air blowing, with siding or brick.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread