Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

celing vapor barrier?

IA

02-18-03, 09:47 AM   #1  
celing vapor barrier?

I live in the midwest in a ranch house built in 1950. We have completed removed all of the plaster in the kitchen walls and celings. Ready to install new insulation in the walls. I plan on using 4 mil vapor barrier on the walls. The attic has old insulation still tacked up with some new blown in a few years ago. My question is do I also install a new vapor barrier on the celing before I drywall?

Thanks!

Harlan

Sponsored Links
Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 01:16 PM   #2  
rbisys
Greetings,

Why reinstall an insulation that was worthless in the first place.

You can install a 97% efficient radiant barrier (RB) system and will have a superior VB and no condensation problems.

Thank you for considering my opinion.

IA

02-18-03, 02:00 PM   #3  
radiant barrier

Thanks rbisys for your reply. I don't know anything about the RB System. Is this available through Lowes or Home Depot?

On the walls does this just replace the Vapor barrier or all of the insulation? Also on the ceiling how is this applied.

Thanks

Visiting Guest

02-18-03, 02:21 PM   #4  
rbisys
Greetings,

This replaces the FG too. Lowes only carries bubble foil ( if they still do) You need the thin type.

I have prepared some drawings and instructions on how to install by the home owner. If you want a copy and a sample of the type of material to look for, e-mail me your address.

The RB installs between the joists/studs and anopther layer goes over the studs and joists like a vapor barrier. This method reduces conduction surfaces by 90%+ and reduces energy emissivity into/out by a factor of about 7 times.

On the web ck for "radiant barrier insulation"

Thank you for considering my opinion.

Search this Thread