Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

vapor barrier for wine cellar

Visiting Guest

02-20-03, 10:38 AM   #1  
swe936
vapor barrier for wine cellar

I am putting in a small wine cellar in my basement and with the moisture that is appropriate for it, I need to put a vapor barrier in to keep the moisture within the room. What is the best way to do this, using greenboard, a plastic barrier, or what? If I use a plastice vapor barrier (my current plan), will the drywall inside the room be at risk? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links

NJ

02-26-03, 09:18 PM   #2  
When it comes to high humidity rooms, use a material that is moisture resistant. A good example is a bathroom or tub enclosure. An inexpensive way of addressing a humid area is wall board specifically designed to resists moisture. They are usually only an 1/8th inch thick and resemble paneling. They come in a variety of designs and some even resemble ceramic tile. Put up the green board, then glue and tack the paneling to it. Caulk the seams as you would in a tub enclosure or kitchen. It states on the product that they are designed to be used in high humidity areas, like kitchens and bathrooms.

OH

03-03-03, 03:32 PM   #3  
Wine cellar

60 to 70 percent humidity level is ideal for a wine cellar. 80 to 100 percent humidity for extended periods of time may cause mold, thus rotting your labels and possibly tainting the cork, as well as cause mold/mildew problems on walls and floor and associated problems. As you know, humidity level must be kept constant to keep corks from popping.

Only certain wood species are chosen to fashion the shelves and molding. Honduran mahogany, all-heart redwood, red oak and Georgian pecan are examples of woods which serve cellar designs well. I have read where folks use rot resistant cedar, but others report that because the wood is so aromatic that it should not be used.

Some folks install an air conditioning system that enables a constant temperature of between 8-15C to be maintained. A carbon filter can be used if the wine cellar is placed in an area with stale air. Humidistats that control humidity via evaporation of water from the condenser unit in a controlled manner into the cellar are used. The humidistat keeps the relative humidity level at just over 70%. And, some folks use doors that are air conditioned.

Thomas Jefferson had a great wine cellar at Monticello, and he did not have all the high tech gizzmos that tend to be recommended today. His walls were the brick foundation of Monticello. Mr. Jefferson also had dumb waiters built into the sides of the diningroom fireplace that could be lowered to a slave below in the wine cellar who would place the requested wines in the elevator and they could be lifted to the diningroom.

Greenboard should serve you well as recommended. It is moisture resistant and should serve you well if humidity levels are kept at recommended levels.

Search this Thread