Help with Insulating an older house

Old 02-24-03, 10:15 AM
mpodlesny
Visiting Guest
Help with Insulating an older house

I am in the process of renovating an older home. We gutted the front bedroom of the house. The house is a brick rowhome and after its been gutted, the front part of the room shows the backside of the brick, which is the backside of the brick of the front wall of the house. In any event I would like to put up insulation (since ther is none in the house) but I do not want to run into any condensation problems that may be caused if I put up insulation. What exactly should be done here. Should I just use batts and everything will be ok or do I need to treat the brick with something before I continue.

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-24-03, 11:09 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If the brick has not been treated on the exterior, you can install batt insulation with the vapor barrier toward the living space.

Old 02-24-03, 11:12 AM
mpodlesny
Visiting Guest
When you say the vapor barrier (and don't laugh I am a novice at this) are you talking about the actual "paper" part of the batt? The part that gets stapled to the stud?

Old 02-24-03, 11:29 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes. The paper part will have the vapor barrier in it, if there is one in the insulation. Check the label to be sure you are getting a vapor barrier.

Old 02-24-03, 11:32 AM
mpodlesny
Visiting Guest
Thanks, for your help.