Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Basement finish

Visiting Guest

02-26-03, 10:09 AM   #1  
MickeyD1
Basement finish

Hi, I'm finishing my basement and had a couple of insulation questions. First of all, I'm getting alot of moisture on the combusion air pipes when it's really cold outside. Can I insulate them to eliminate this issue and is so what's the best stuff to use? Also I would like to insulate the heat supply lines and wondered what the best stuff to use there also. Thanks.

Sponsored Links

NJ

02-26-03, 09:03 PM   #2  
Sealed combustion heating system.

I am assuming that the type of heating system you have is a sealed combustion unit. Where a pipe brings in fresh air for combustion and another pipe exhausts the combustion gases. If this is the case, the flue pipe or exhaust pipe is zero clearance from combustables, meaning to say, you can insulate the pipe. However, you should first check with the manufacturer before doing so. I'm not certain if this is the type of system you have. If the pipes are plastic, then the unit is a high efficiency unit.

The manufacturer can probably give you the best solution to eliminate the condensation on the exhaust pipe. And at the same time, your warranty still stays in tact.

Your description does not tell me if you have a hot water or forced air system. You can insulate either one with pipe insulation or duct insulation which you can buy at any home improvement store.

Visiting Guest

02-27-03, 12:24 PM   #3  
MickeyD1
Thanks, yes the system is forced air. There are two 8 inch sheet metal pipes that bring in combustable air to just outside of the furnace, one is 12" from the ceiling the other terminates 12" from the flow. The condensation occurs just about a foot inside the sill plate on top of the concrete foundation wall. Also I have a couple of heat supplies running along the sill plate in another part of the basement, so can I just stuff more batt insulation around those pipes rather than wrap them with insulation. There is a batt, probably r15 around the top of the concrete wall at the sill plate. thanks

Search this Thread