Handling Insulation

Old 02-26-03, 04:53 PM
offcenter
Visiting Guest
Handling Insulation

I wore a decent mask, goggles, and gloves while installing insulation in the rim joist of my basement. I had a couple of problems: Goggles fogged up a little and the skin on my face and neckline really reacted with little red bumps, especially where the dust mask rested against my face. Needless to say, I would like to avoid this malady when I start round two. (I made sure there was no gap between my sleeves and gloves and this seemed to work because I did not break out there at all.)

Any suggestions? No plastic bag over the head jokes!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-03, 02:35 PM
offcenter
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Tackled the face mask issue on my own: I bought a professional multi-purpose respirator (99.97% filter efficiency level). I expected it to be better, but WOW! It is well worth the expense. Obviously, the rubber facepiece will eliminate the goggles fogging up. I feel much better about finishing the basement insulation and then on to the attic insulation now.

Old 02-27-03, 02:40 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Handling insulation

The rash could have been due to the heat also a possible allergic reaction to the material out of which the goggles were made. Better luck with the respirator.

Old 03-02-03, 12:55 PM
offcenter
Visiting Guest
I used the respirator for about two hours in my basement. So many problems caused by idiot previous owners. They finished basement ceiling w/drywall w/popcorn spray (very nice job actually), waterproofed the floor and installed carpet. Just painted the walls. Go figure. Because it was freezing down there I found the hopper windows problem (see Basement forum), and there was no insulation in the band (rim?) joist. I removed the 1x4 screwed to the wall and found I had to use my rotozip to trim back the drywall (they installed it over the concrete which made it almost impossible to get the insulation in there.) ANYWAY, (gee I really get off track), I didn't have the same problem the second time around. The rubber straps on the cloth mask left welt-like marks and I am guessing that the cloth mask moved around a bit as I worked and "rubbed" drywall dust/insulation making my face break out.

I spent about an hour exploring my attic yesterday which was quite an experience (found huge problems too). The respirator worked wonders there too. No rash. I did use the suggestion I found in a previous thread- put my clothes/shoes into a plastic garbage bag and had the vacuum at the ready to clean the area before opening the closet door. I really appreciate all the info I find here.