insulating

Old 02-27-03, 10:15 AM
giggy
Visiting Guest
insulating

How can I properly insulate an wall that has been constructed & dry walled 3-4" away from the cement wall. What can i use?
Is there a product that does not need a barrier on the cement and then a vapour barrier on top of the insulation?
Is there a product that you can fit behind this wall and blow up?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-03, 09:01 AM
giggy,

I am not sure, but are saying that this wall is already up and sheetrocked? This is really unusual.

I would assume that if you needed this insulated, I would consider blown-in (cavity filled). Perlite loose fill insulation could be installed or Vermiculite for ease of installation. Call some local insulating companies for their advice.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/erec/fact.../insulate.html

This should answer your questions as well as what you find out from local insulation installers.

Hope this helps!

Old 03-03-03, 03:01 PM
Insulating

Post back and let us know what you decided to do. It will be helpful to those who may be in the same situation as you.

My research indicates that if loose filled insulation is blown in that a vapor retarder is necessary. Foam insulation does not. Although it offers higher R-values than either cellulose or mineral fibers, problems have been experienced with blown in foam. This includes expansion of the foam during installation causing bowing of walls, and shrinkage of the foam over time, causing gaps in the insulation.

I defer to insulation experts. As Doug suggested, contact an expert. If you wish, you can go to www.resercon.com and contact him direct with your question. He has a wealth of insulation info and energy conservation information on his website. Resercon is a mod on our Energy & Weatherstripping Forum and is a noted expert in in energy conservation and insulation.

Search this Thread