Barn Insulation

Old 03-01-03, 10:34 PM
tjbarty
Visiting Guest
Barn Insulation

I am in the process of turning a 100-year old hayloft into a home. The barn currently has cedar wood vertical siding, with lots of gaps for ventilation. The wood is in fairly good condition for the age. My thoughts for insulation of the walls was to wrap the complete exterior with house wrap (tyvek or similar) and re-side with vinyl siding. From the interior I thought I would put insulation batting in the framing, then poly VB, then drywall. As I am a novice at this renovation game, I'd like to ask - what does anyone think of this idea ? Any better ideas or any help would be appreciated. Thanks, from Tammy.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-03, 06:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Good LucK!
Mike

Old 03-02-03, 10:32 AM
tjbarty
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Hello Mike- thanks for your reply. I'm encouraged ! I think this was the easier of my 2 questions though, (I saved this one for later). This barn has a 40 foot high roof. The exterior shingles are in pretty good shape (asphalt shingles). There appears to be cedar boards on the interior of the roof. The boards and the roof framing are in great shape too. I am considering lowering the roof to reduce heating cost (putting in a "fake" barn-style roof, if you like). I don't really want to, but who wants to heat that much volume ?? Also, I don't know yet whether it will be a sloping or flat roof when finished ..planning to talk to an Architect for advice..
Anyway, if I do that, I will probably be left with 10-15 foot gap between the existing cedar boards and the new roof framing. How would you (or anyone else who is watching) suggest finishing that for best insulation, ventilation, VB etc.
There are no vents in the roof itself currently, but there are openings high up in the gable ends which I could do something with - looks like they were 2' x 3' vents for ventilation to the hayloft originally, but just empty holes now.
Sincerely, Grateful Barn Renovator.

Old 03-02-03, 10:50 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

Are you planning on creating an attic or heated living space in the 10-15'?
If an attic, you can vent both ends at the peaks, with a thermostat-controlled vent fan on one end, and insulate the attic floor only.
Plan a stairwell in for access, if you can, so that it is easier to use as an attic, or to convert to living space later.
You can run the rough room framing, wiring, plumbing and HVAC supply and return vent tie-ins while re-building now, and finish it later.
Lots of possibilities.
Good Luck!
Mike