tiger's teeh

Old 03-04-03, 07:38 PM
murielgt
Visiting Guest
Question tiger's teeh

Hi:

Could you tell me what are tiger's teeth? What do they look like or better, what is the technical name? My township's building inspector recommended that soundproofing insulation placed between the joists in the ceiling of our (future) finished basement be secured by tiger's teeth and a bracing system. I cannot find anything on the web that relates to it. My contractor has never heard of it and instead was suggesting to just staple the insulationto the joists. Are tiger's teeth better? What about staples?

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-03, 08:39 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Joist Hangers

These are metal bars slightly thicker than a coat hanger with sharpened points at each end. They are slightly longer than the width between your ceiling joists. The way they are installed is the insulation is put up first then one of these metal bars is wedged between the ceiling joists every 3 feet. The sharp points on the ends of the bar dig into the joist and hold up the insulation.

The reason for this instead of staples is because you should not use a vapor barrier between 2 conditioned spaces, upstairs and the heated/cooled basement. And/or the vapor barrier should touch the warm side of the area, which is the subfloor upstairs. This is when you install insulation between a conditioned space (upstairs) and an unconditioned space (unheated basement). If you were to staple the vapor barrier to the ceiling joists, then the vapor barrier would be on the wrong side of the insulation and you would trap moisture inside the insulation, instead of keeping it out.

Old 03-05-03, 03:59 AM
murielgt
Visiting Guest
Wink tiger's teeth

Hi Resercon:

Thank you for your prompt answer! I now understand better. Can I assume that by going to any hardware store (i.e. Home Depot) and asking for tiger's teeth, they will know what I am looking for?

Again, thanks a lot!

murielgt

Old 03-05-03, 05:25 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool

We call them tiger claws around here. Tiger teeth, tiger claws, insulation joist hangers, all same-same.
Ask for them (and describe them as resercon did) most anywhere insulation is sold.
They'll know what you need.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 03-05-03, 05:57 AM
murielgt
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Tiger's teeth

Thank you Mike!

You and Resercon made my (happy) day!!!

Now I know everytjing I need to know!!