Attached garage insulation

Old 03-15-03, 09:01 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Attached garage insulation

I have an attached two car garage. One half of the garage is used for a vehicle and the other half contains my work shop. It is unheated. I am trying to decide whether to put some form of heater in the garage that would be used only when I am working on a project.

The walls are insulated because they were drywalled at one point, but their is no ceiling just open roof rafters. The ceiling joists are handy for storing lumber and stuff so I really don't want to install a ceiling.

Can insulation be installed between the roof rafters without creating some other problem, such as condensation, moisture, etc.?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-03, 11:23 AM
insulation

Id say no you dont want the insulation up there in the roof rafters at all.Cause of the moistureit could get. For a shop there Id put the insulation in the ceiling rafters and add drywall.you can put a pull down ladder to get up there and like I have, put some hang down bars to put stuff on. Dont for get .If you use an open flame for heat there it has to be 2ft. up off of the floor in a garge ED

Old 03-15-03, 04:39 PM
desic
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up attached garage insulation

Mr. Fixer,you did not state your needs for heat with enough info,
to properly address your situation. Are you looking to just "take the chill off" or heat the space for a duration? What are your pro-jects? Are they wood based where an EMC (effective moisture content) is relevant? Are they mechanical in nature? Is the bay between the auto. and workshop separate? Are you heating the work area only? Now that you have food for thought,here are some suggestions for your consideration. Buy a relatively inexpen-sive heater be it electric, propane (20# tank), liquid, fire it up and absorb the cost. Keep in mind all SAFETY precautions with regard to these units and the location it is being used,a GARAGE! Follow me? Your question appears to be more related to heating than in-sulating but if you want to insulate for heating and cooling you'll have to address venting, Hmmm... the catch 22. What about your garage door or doors? not a big R factor. I suggest performing a volume calculation,sizing a heating unit,address it's mfg. require-
ments then you'll know the extent of your insulation ZONE. If you
like the storage capacity in your existing ceiling joists consider a
sprayed foam such as Icynene (non toxic) to your rafter assembly.
While you are in the throws of insulation for a workshop,before you finalize your decision,again we don't know what tools you are
using but my experience has taught me that a hedge towards the consideration for SOUND attenuation is paramount. It will allow you to use your space when you want to,when you HAVE to
with a minimal amount of disturbance to your family,friends and
neighbors. There's alot to consider, good luck Fixer.

Old 03-15-03, 06:28 PM
M
You propably described my intentions better than I idid. I am interestered in taking the chill out of the garage as I worik in the area. Most of my projects that necessitatie prolonged warrmth, I have options to easily move the project to a heated area.

In St. Louis, the weather is usually not severe for long and duing those times I can forego the workshop. But for most of the winter the outside temp is in the mid 30's to mid-40's

My thought on insulation was just avoidance of wasted heat, but as you suggest, the trade off in cost may suggest just accepting the lost heat and related heat

I have seen portable propane heaters and I also have enough power supply to consider infared. Maybe portable heat will be suffient.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Mike

Old 03-16-03, 10:12 AM
Know ST. louis weather well . Did a lot of work there in Kirkwood was there for 22 years. I dont think you can go with a LP heater where you are. I think nat gas is the best buy there right now. Dont try and go with the infared heaters they dont work for what you want.We use old funaces for what you want to do. This way they have a big blower in them and can give you a fast pick up also can blow the heat where you are . If you have the electric power you could go that way also with just an electric furnace it would also have a big blower on it. Id ask around there at some of the heat and cool shops, for old used units for this I know we sell the old ones that work and are ok too use all the time, just for what you want. Dont forget to check code there for how high up the flame of the unit has to be off the floor ED