Basement How much insulation / prep work

Old 03-16-03, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Basement How much insulation / prep work

I am finishing my basement in my home located in the North East (Upstate New York). The home is 4 1/2 years old. The basement is below grade for most of three sides and the fourth is at grade with a walkout slider. I did test for mosture and there is no problem. I have decided to use 25 ga steel studs (2*4) I will move the wall an inch or two off of the block wall The temperature has been a stable 50 in the basement The foundation is block construction.

I have a few questions as I would like to do the best job possible...

What insulation is really necessary, I like the tounge & groove styrofoam panals but they only provide an R Factor of 5 to 7.5 depending on thickness is that enough ? I saw postings where the panals were used and R-13 batting was also used. is that overkill ? should the batting, if used touch the styrofoam panals
or should a small air space be used between the two.

No matter which method used, batting, Panals, or Panals & Batting combination am I correct in reading the various postings that the vapor barrier is only necessary / recommended behind the drywall ?

Lastly, the walls are dry, but since they are being "sealed up " behind drywall would you suggest (as a preventative measure) using a waterproofing on the walls or a water sealer ?

Erik,

Sponsored Links
Old 03-16-03, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ERIKGENE,

Hello and welcome to the forums. Sounds like you've got a good game plan there, metal studs are cheaper than wood, and with the quality of lumber these days, my preference actually. If we could just get residential home builders to see the benefits.

Anyway better not get on my soapbox round here. Check out this page here on the site, it'll give ya some good guidelines to go by.
http://doityourself.com/energy/insulation.htm

I'd run my walls 1" out from the exterior walls, use kraft faced insulation, hang drywall, finish & paint it. if your basement is holding a steady 50 degrees, I'd say R-11 would do ya fine.

Hope this info helps ya out, post back if you have more ??'s and let us know how it turns out.