garage insulation

Old 03-19-03, 04:49 AM
alorenzo
Visiting Guest
garage insulation

I'm looking to insulate an attached garage. There is a bedroom above the garage. The garage is not heated. From what I understand if the room is heated the paper faces the inside of the house and the fiberglass faces the outside.

In insulating my garage should I have the paper face the inside on the walls and above in the ceiling? Or should the fiberglass face in on the ceiling and out on the walls?

Any suggestions are much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-03, 08:20 AM
Vapor Barrier against warm side of structure.

Different walls and ceilings of the garage are either conditioned or unconditioned. A wall or ceiling that separates the basement or a room in the house from the garage is considered conditioned. If installing the insulation from inside the garage, the vapor barrier goes first. So when the insulation is installed from inside the garage, you should not see the vapor barrier, but you should see the insulation.

A wall or ceiling in the garage that separates an attic or the outside is considered unconditioned. Most people still install insulation in those areas to make the garage comfortable. If installing the insulation from inside the garage, the insulation goes first and the vapor barrier gets stapled to the joists or studs. So when the insulation is installed from inside the garage, you should not see the insulation, but you should see the vapor barrier.

In the state of NJ, insulation must be covered in a garage with a fire rated material, such as sheet rock. Though the code does not specify taping and spackling, it assumes that it will be done, in some parts of the world they do, like Canada. This is known as gas-proofing. It is only prudent that you spackle and tape the joints of the sheet rock.