Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Width Of Insulation

03-21-03, 05:19 PM   #1  
Width Of Insulation

What widths do fiberglass batts come in ?

I am finishing my basement with steel studs. I realize that if one used wood studs on 16" centers with standard 2*4's the inside dimension between the studs is 14 1/2"

Yet by using the steel studs, the interior dimension is essentially 16" as the insulation would fit into the "C" of the steel stud.

Does insulation come in 16" widths or would you makes your studs 14 1/2 on centers

Erik,

Sponsored Links

MO

03-23-03, 10:36 AM   #2  
insulation

I think you will find that insl. comes like in the 15" that you talk of and then they have the 23" for 24 " on center studs. You could get polystyrene and cut it to fit in the steel studes ED

Visiting Guest

03-27-03, 05:29 AM   #3  
Gabling2
Erik: I also used steel studs for my basement finishing... I just purchased last night Johns Manville kraft faced insulation (8' batts, not roll) for steel studs. The width is a true 16" and fits like a glove between the steel 16"OC beams. (I tried some batts last night!).

I had ordered JM encapsulated (ComfortTherm) 16" insulation from a local big-name hardware store and they wound up ordering the standard 15" width for wood beams. Of course they said another order would take 2 more weeks to come in, so I went with the Kraft faced from another store.

I had some problems, however, in actually getting my hands on the full 16" width. Most stores argue that there is no such thing! I had printed up JM's tech sheet from their site and had it with me at each store so I could show them it was available!! Seems the common 16" steel stud insulation type that is in stock is unfaced. Also, I found that the Owens Corning "pink" insulation does not come in full 16" width, unless you want to go with something like R30 which is way too thick for a basement 2x4 wall.

Thanks - Glen

Search this Thread