adding insulation to my attic

Old 03-22-03, 08:26 AM
aj91947
Visiting Guest
adding insulation to my attic

My home is 24 years old and there has not been any additional insulation done to the attic over the years. It started out with 8 inches blown in. I am sure it has settled by now. I have talk to a couple of people about adding insulation and I have a question now they werent able to answer. How do I tell if I have enough ventition to my attic? I have about 4 of the small vents, in the roof and when I had a new roof put on several years ago I added a turbine type vent. The eves of my house dont have and vents in them. So how can I tell if it has enough vents? and if it doesnt how do I add more? Also the ends of the house are brick so I cant put vents there. Thank you for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-03, 06:41 AM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Since the house is only 24 years old it is more than likely you have vents on your eaves. One of the ways to determine if there are vents at you eaves is to go into the attic during a sunny day and turn off the lights. Look towards the eaves and you should see light. One way vents are provided in eaves is by dropping the facia board. This is the board that the gutters are usually nailed to. If you see light at the eaves from inside the attic, then probably you have adequate ventilation.