Insulating a room above garage

Old 03-25-03, 04:49 AM
chartnett
Visiting Guest
Question Insulating a room above garage

I recently built a detached garage with a room above. I plan on using this room as a home gym and would like to insulate it. The walls will all be sheetrocked. My questions relate to insulating 3 different types of walls. The ceiling of the room would have space above it (much like an attic to the peak of the roof). There are walls at 45 degrees which would have the roof on one side and drywall on the other. And finally, there are knee-walls and the floor (supported by the rafters) which would be exposed to the open area of the garage ground floor. My questions are: What type of insulation for each wall? If vapor barrier is used, which way should it face?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-03, 04:47 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
This is an easy one for you. The floors will have R-19, the reg. vertical walls will have R-15the 45degree wall will need to be furred out to 9 1/2" to accept proper vent (styrofoam/cardboard product to allow air to pass by insulation), then install R-30C (for cathedral), the flat ceiling will have R-30. All the insulation will be Kraftpaper. I would consider installing R-19 on the reg. vertical walls because of the heat build up behind it being it is also attic area.
Please check your local codes 1st to make sure the R factors are correct. Some ares are requiring R-38 in the ceilings now.
Good luck