insulation

Old 03-28-03, 06:12 PM
bajj02
Visiting Guest
insulation

My husband and I are building our own house. Can sprayed cellulose be installed by us or is a contracted installer necessary.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-03, 06:26 PM
insulation

Why would you want to use cellulose? Although I'm sure there are some parts of the country it might be OK. In my experience it settles, attracts moisture/bugs etc. Use the fiberglass instead, generally costs a little more but it works!
frank

Old 03-28-03, 06:29 PM
magister
Visiting Guest
You can rent a machine from either home improvement center; Usually, the machines are kept at the base of the rack where they sell the insulation to go in it and oftentimes, it is an endcap in the general vicinity of the pink insulation. Basically, it looks like a larger version of one of those carpet cleaners you rent from a grocery store. Go look at one and you'll know whether or not you can do it. But, I'm pretty sure you'll have no problems.

Hope I helped;
R

Old 03-28-03, 06:32 PM
bajj02
Visiting Guest
We have been hearing good things about the cellulose over fiber glass. Fiber glass allows to much air filtration and where we are building can get pretty hot

Old 03-30-03, 04:31 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
Cellulose is treated now so you don't get all the problems like the old stuff. It is also now fire retardant. There are companies out there that wet it down with glue and water and spray it inside the stud cavities to promote a air tight seal. works great. Then there is the machine type at the Improvement centers, when you use this machine 2 things, make sure to break up the the insulation into small pieces, it flows much better, and also make sure you screw the drywall, not nail as the pressure tends to push the drywall out away from the studs creating bubbles in the wall. I always drill a 1 inch hole at the bottom of the sheetrock to allow the air to escape so that it doesn't create an air block at the bottom. Drill it below the finish trim height. Good luck.

Old 03-31-03, 05:09 PM
insulation

All of the cellulose I have used over the years Has always been better for a ceiling blow than any Fiber Glass. It gets over and covers up a lot of openings. You do want to put a 2 mil poly up before you drywall. Then blow it in on top of that for a good vapor barrier. Yes you can put it in yourself. It has always been treated as far back as I know it and that is back to 70. Ok for the fiber Glass We use to take a small hunk hold it out take a small lp torch to it, It wont burn but boy would it melt. Now if it was in your attic and you had a fire it would melt and let the fire down on in the home. Then we would take some cellulose put it in our hand with a penny on it take the torch and melt the penny. It will turn black and get a small glow to it but it wont burn or melt.At the time had some pictures of homes that had fires that had started in or on the roof.The fire never did get down in the homes but the roofs where all gone. Like Yankee said if you do the walls look out . Had some of my men pop the paneling off the wall in a home, blowing the insulation in the walls ED

Old 03-31-03, 07:26 PM
cellulose insulation

"Fiber glass allows to much air filtration". Yes, but you want the air, that's what "insulates" not the dense material. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but it sounds like we're hearing from folks in the "cellulose insulation business".
I'm assuming you didn't use screws to attach sheetrock? nor did you add a 2 mile vapor barrier? Think R value, not ease of installation.
frank

Old 04-03-03, 01:40 PM
HVAC hack
Visiting Guest
Re: cellulose insulation

Originally posted by slumlordfrank
"Fiber glass allows to much air filtration". Yes, but you want the air, that's what "insulates" not the dense material. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but it sounds like we're hearing from folks in the "cellulose insulation business".
I'm assuming you didn't use screws to attach sheetrock? nor did you add a 2 mile vapor barrier? Think R value, not ease of installation.
frank
With 16 inches of cellulose, you have an R value of about 60. That is more than sufficiant for all the houses I have insulated.

Search this Thread