Insulating a garage roof to keep heat OUT

Old 03-30-03, 10:03 AM
natman
Visiting Guest
Insulating a garage roof to keep heat OUT

I live in California and would like to insulate the ceiling of my unheated garage. The primary goal is not to keep it warmer in winter, but rather cooler in summer. The ceiling is currently bare rafters with roofing plywood.

My plan is to fill the spaces between the rafters with fiberglass inslation. I have found a product that has a paper back and is the correct dimensions. The insulation would be held in place with long steel rods that fit between the rafters.

Any concerns? Venting, moisture barriers? Can I have the paper back exposed?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-03, 01:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Talking ....."My Two Cents"

Hello: natman. Welcome to our do-it-yourself web site.

I would not suggest you use the method described. Before doing so, check with the building and materials supply dealers in your area for proper products to use and installation methods.

I am not sure a vapor barrier would be needed either. Our area on this ROCK we call EARTH is not subjected to the moisture and dampness climates in other areas of this country.

Another concern is termites. Those flying breathes and types which invade our homes in this part of the country every year.

Covering up the rafters would hide their presence from view until enough damage where caused to require beem replacements.

The termites would love to hide their deads and termite companys would love your garage repair business.

Unfinished attics and crawl spaces above the living area do not have insulation under the roofing beems for that reason and to provide ventilation to keep the wood dry.

Roof ventilators will provide the excape path ventilation of warm trapped air close to the roof beems. Either the rotating lovered type or a power vent fan. Cross ventilation can be provided by gable vents.

Disclaimer:
I am not a pro in the area of insulation. Check with your local building departments, local insulation companies and contractors.

Moderator Note:
Our resident professionals within this forum will have professional advice. Check back on your question several times for possible additional replies.

Regards & Good Luck, Web Site Host & Multiple Topic Moderator.
TCB4U2B2B Company Enterprises. Energy Conservation Consultants & Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technicians.

Old 03-30-03, 04:16 PM
YankeeCraftmn
Visiting Guest
If I was you, I would install a sheetrock/plywood ceiling and have blown in insulation installed. It will be safer and look nicer too. Make sure you properly ventilate the attic, or you will waste your time and money.