Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

R13, R19, or what?

Visiting Guest

04-07-03, 01:12 PM   #1  
Libor
R13, R19, or what?

I will be tearing out plaster and insulating a couple of rooms this spring. The walls are exactly four inches thick because the studs in our 90 year-old house measure exactly 2 inches by 4 inches. Which means that R13 fiberglass insulation is a little too thin for that space, but R19 is a little too thick. Is there something in-between? At the big box places, I can only find those two R-values. I live in So. Maryland, by the way, so any R-value I can get is appreciated.

Sponsored Links

SC

04-07-03, 04:06 PM   #2  
I found that trying to compress fiberglass insulation made mounting drywall challenging. If you have to compress the insulation, you might consider using 5/8" dry wall to avoid problems with screws tearing out.

Others may be able to give more advice, but you might as well go with the thicker insulation.

Hope this helps.

MO

04-07-03, 04:25 PM   #3  
insulation

Could you glue 1" polystyrene in the studs and then use the R13. That would give you 1"+3 1/2". That would give you 4 1/2" as to the R19 at 6 1/4" To put the drywll over ED

Visiting Guest

04-08-03, 05:28 PM   #4  
YankeeCraftmn
I would recommend that you use R-15 in your walls. That 1/2" of dead air space acts like insulation too. If you use polystyrene, that becomes you vapor barrier now.
Best bet, R-15 unfaced with 3-4 mill poly stapled to walls, tape all joints and around outlet boxes. Fool proof.
Good luck

Search this Thread