foam board insulation over plywood paneling

Old 04-13-03, 07:29 PM
maryannkacz
Visiting Guest
Question foam board insulation over plywood paneling

Can foam board insulation in installed directly over plywood paneling, if drywall is to be installed over it? I know this is a strange question, but this is a strange house. The house is a 1950's modular ranch. The studs are 2 x 4, but turned the other way, it seems. Inside walls, and I think outside walls are thinner than what is normal. I think the plywood paneling, about 1/2 inch thick is part of support. Don't want to try to take these down. We are going to drywall directly over this. I know there is foam insulation on exterior of house when it was vinyl sided 5 years ago. There is sufficient attic insulation. The bedroom we are doing is the coolest room in winter. Is it possible to put foam board directly on plywood paneling on inside of room? Would it be worth it? Would there be any moisture problems from doing this? Only other alternative we thought of was to add studs to wall and put in rolled insulation. But we really don't want to lose any space, its not that big of a room. Any ideas anyone.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-03, 08:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hello Mary and welcome to the forums.

I'd say yes you can do what you've posted here, you'll need to locate & mark your wall studs, and be sure to use long enough nails/screws to go through the drywall, insulation, plywood & into the studs. Also this is one of the rare instances where I'd suggest using 3/8" sheetrock or even 1/4" if it's locally available.

Best of luck & post back if you have other ?'s.

Old 04-14-03, 12:45 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
REwork

like dell said Id mark off where the studs are top and bottom.Glue the polystyrene to the wall put a 2 mil poly over this and then hang the drywall with screws that go in too the studs ED