Insulation (again?)

Old 04-28-03, 09:58 AM
RGD
Visiting Guest
Insulation (again?)

We have a home in central Florida. It is all cement block. The attic is not insulated and it would be easy to install insulation (easy access). The ceilings are all knotty pine and of course there are some places where it is not sealed very well. Can I just go ahead and seal the areas where the insulation might fall through and blow in as much insulation as needed? Also, is there a product or method to keep the insulation from filling the eves. It has been decided not to use a vapor barrior (previous posts) and because of the properties of cellulose it seems an obvious choice. We will also put vents in the eves ASAP. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-03, 01:51 PM
http://www.eere.energy.gov/consumeri...riefs/bd4.html This is a government brief on vapor barriers and air barriers. They discuss your situation and the importance of air barriers being more of a concern than vapor barriers in warm climate areas.

Since the knotty pine is not air tight to the point where insulation might even fall through it, I would recommend an air/vapor barrier. I would use large sheets of 6 to 8 mil plastic, lay it over the floor joists in the attic and drape it into the cavities between the joists. I would do one cavity at a time using the cellulose weight to push down the plastic to the knotty pine ceiling.

Search this Thread