How do I check insulation in wall?

Old 05-03-03, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I check insulation in wall?

I have a room in my house that is alot warmer than the other rooms. It is on the NE side of the house. Is there some way to check to see if there is insulation in the walls without tearing a hole in the wall? There is a house in the neighborhood that didn't have any insulation in the walls and they had to take down the drywall and put some in.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-03-03, 08:50 PM
Hi Terry,

Are there any electric boxes in the wall? If so pull the face plate & you maybe able to take a peek there. How old a house are we talking about? How many of the walls are exterior?

Old 05-04-03, 11:30 AM
This is a 20 year old house and the room has one wall that is exterior. The North wall is in a closet so there are no outlets in there.There is one outlet on the wall so I will check but I'm worried that with the guys who built these houses, they could have only put insulation in half of the wall and left the rest without.

Old 05-04-03, 05:01 PM
Bummer, your best option might be to contact a local insulation contractor and see about getting a bid for blow-in to be added to the walls. Especially if you don't see any sign of it behind the elec box.