Insulation Under A Clodsed In Porch

Old 05-13-03, 07:56 AM
GORDON HAMMER
Visiting Guest
Insulation Under A Clodsed In Porch

MY PORCH IS CLOSED IN, BUT THE UNDERSIDE OF THE PORCH IS A UNHEATED TYPE CRAWL SPACE. ABOUT 4 FEET OFF GROUND. HOW WOULD YOU INSULATE AREA AND WITH WHAT TYPE INSUKATION ?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-03, 07:45 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In your area fiberglass insulation with a vapor barrier is used in this application. If you go out and buy the insulation it will say on the packaging either faced or unfaced fiberglass insulation. Faced insulation is insulation that has a vapor barrier and unfaced is insulation that does not have a vapor barrier. So you want to purchase "FACED FIBERGLASS INSULATION".

Next would be the rating. In your area the minimum for floor insulation is R-19. You should see this also on the packaging.

How much insulation you need depends on how large the area you want to insulate. So let's say the porch floor is 10 feet by 10 feet (10 x 10 = 100), you need 100 square feet of insulation. On the packaging it will state the coverage, such as 64 sq. ft. So you would have to buy 2 packages of this type of insulation. Always buy a little more than what you have measured because there will always be a little waste. This is assuming your floor joists are 16 inches on center.

Next would be cutting the insulation to length and installing it. You should ask the salesperson on the different methods and products to accomplish it. If you have any problem with this and you wish for my explanation, I will be more than happy to give it to you.