Insulating cathedral ceiling

Old 05-14-03, 05:05 AM
DIY James
Visiting Guest
Insulating cathedral ceiling

Near the wall of my new bathroom with cathedral ceiling, the vertical space available for insulation is less than the space required for R30. I live in the deep south. I will use baffles to maintain air flow up to the ridge vents, so that further reduces the space. Should I supplement the insulation with some type of radiant barrier on top of the insulation?

An good ideas would be welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-03, 07:05 AM
You can get insulation such as fiberglass batts that have a higher R-value per inch to meet the insulating requirements for your area. You can also use rigid board insulation which will give you the desired R-value that will fit in this limited space. Just search the web for insulations and you'll find quite a few manufacturers for the product you need.

The hotter an object gets the more heat that object will radiate and vice-versa. The object with the structure concerning this area that will radiate the most heat is the roof. The best known way of reducing the affects of radiant heat transfer in your situation are adequate attic ventilation and light colored roofing shingles. As far as radiant barriers, they are not widely used because the data and research on them are not conclusive.