with or without the foil?

Old 05-15-03, 03:11 PM
starchild
Visiting Guest
with or without the foil?

I recently had someone get some fiberglass insulation (the pink kind that comes in a roll) for me, to use on the outside wall of a bathroom.

I'm currently in the middle of slowly getting the bathroom redone, with a little help, and not much money to spend on materials. Or paying to have work done.

I am an older woman, (now alone) with a big old house that needs work.

Years ago my husband and I insulated an old house, and I have seen it done since, and the pink insulation always had a foil side. Which was stapled to the wall studs, (with the foil facing into the room) and sheetrock (etc) put over this. Sometimes clear plastic was stapled over the entire wall, but seems like some said to do this, and some not to.

The insulation I have doesn't have a foil side. It's just a roll of pink fiberglass. The person who got it said they told him at the building supply store that this was the same thing, and used instead of the other now. And less money.

I live in Northern VT and the insulation is for the outside wall of the bathroom. Right now it has linoleum-like material on the bottom half, (over plaster) and plaster on top, all over lathes-I believe they are called. Strips of thin wood. We plan on taking that all out, putting the insulation between the studs, and using sheetrock on the top and a wall board (real board) on the bottom.

The bathroom isn't very big and the outside wall has a window, and part of the shower, so not much of the actual wall. The other walls are built into an attached shed, on the end of the house. The bathroom was added later, and isn't as old as the house, with is (the main part) "100+years". But we found newspapers in the ceiling from 1918 I think they feel down from the loft (in the shed) above it. (I am putting CURRENT newspapers in the wall before we close it up again).

I've been looking online and on the Owen's Corning site it does seem to say that the insulation WITHOUT the foil backing is just as good as with it. And, less expensive.

I just want to make sure it's done right, while we're doing it.

From my experiences seems like insulation should have the foil side on it. But, I haven't done much building and home repairs in my life. I wish now I had paid more attention to it when others did it.

Just wanted to get some expert advice on this. Since it's a true "do it yourself" project.

Thanks,

Carrie

Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-03, 08:01 PM
The foil is a vapor barrier and so is the plastic that was put up too. You don't need both, so you can install the insulation in the wall and then cover the insulation with a sheet of 6 mil plastic. Some people feel the plastic is better than the foil because it gives you better coverage.