Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

insulation dust/plastic/wood panelling

Visiting Guest

05-19-03, 01:11 AM   #1  
anp856
insulation dust/plastic/wood panelling

HI all,

We will be insulating our slant walls upstairs with glass wool, and we're thinking of putting up horizontal pine panelling as a wall finish (sort of chalet-style) instead of sheetrock. A friend who is a retired building contractor suggested we first staple plastic sheets to the rafters over the insulation so that the fiberglass doesn't infiltrate into our living space. This I understand, but is it a good idea to put plastic over the insulation (it has a kraft paper vapor retarder)? Won't this prevent the roof from "breathing? " Will it cause moisture problems?

Thanks very much in advance,
Carole

Sponsored Links

MO

05-19-03, 11:29 AM   #2  
insulation

you do need to have a vent space there from the insulation to the roof that is for sure but I would still put a 2mil poly up over the insulation also for a better vapor barrier it will sure help here ED

Visiting Guest

05-30-03, 12:19 AM   #3  
anp856
insulation dust

Hi Ed,

Do you think kraft paper would be OK? Somebody suggested it as an alternative to the plastic, which I'm not to hot about.

Carol

MO

05-30-03, 08:08 AM   #4  
POLY

We use a 2mil poly on all walls and ceiling if the insulation has paper on it or not.Also use the clear so you can see where you can nail later.Dont know what panelling you will use but . take a black marks alot and color the poly where a seam will be this way if the panel should shrink you wont see the white stud or rafter ED

Search this Thread