Floor / Ibeam Insulation

Old 05-28-03, 06:17 AM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Floor / Ibeam Insulation

Here is the scenario, we just finished putting up a new 2 car block garage with our master bedroom/bathroom above it. The floor of the garage is poured concrete and one side of the garage is "partly" covered with earth against the foundation. We plan on sheetrocking the ceiling at a minimum and that is what prompted this question. The floor has no load bearing pillars, it was constructed using engineered Ibeams which are 12" on center to allow more room in the garage. What would be the best way for a DIY guy to insulate the floor? I know most insulation from the home stores is for 16" OC construction, plus I would need to figure out a vapor barrier to put against the floor (conditioned space) correct? I was thinking about trying to put up poly against the floor and filling the space with unfaced insulation but I am not sure how to secure the poly to get a uniform and gap free installation around all the beams.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-03, 07:53 AM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Anyone??? Little help needed here, I have to start working on this soon!

Old 06-04-03, 10:52 AM
Brewbeer
Visiting Guest
If you live in a climate where it is cold in the winter, the vapor barrier is put on the warm side of the insulation, i.e., between the joists and the subfloor, or bossibly between two layers of subfloor. Putting in strips of poly between the joists seems like a waste of effort.

I think that wet blown-in cellulose insulation might be the way to go, as it is good a deadening sound, too.

Old 06-16-03, 12:36 PM
Mkuriawa
Visiting Guest
Insulation

Thanks for the response Brewbeer, after looking at the job again I think the garage portion is best left to the pros. I am going to tackle the walls and attic space myself but it seems like a foam type insulation would be the easiest for the garage portion considering the beam spacing and height between each one.

I would assume with the foam application no vapor barrier is needed? Any pros/cons to having someone spray the foam type in? I need to get this done pretty soon so I can get an inspection and start sheetrocking.

Mike