reuse isulation

Old 06-01-03, 02:19 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
reuse isulation

Can insulation lose its r factor?

I am in the process of removing my attic insulation for many reason
1 I'm about to start rewiring my house, so it will make it easier on me to get it out of my way.
2 It gets so hot in the summer, the previous owner just put insulation everywhere including blocking my areas for the soffits
3 It has about 8" of blown in yellow insulation ontop of 2 layers of 3 1/2 batted insulation that is so compressed I dont think it does any good, (I read somewhere, that you dont want to compress the batted insulation)

My question is can I reuse the yellow blown in insulation or should I throw it away like I am doing to the other batted stuff?

Is there a machine I can rent to suck the blown in insulation up, I learned the hard way thats its not a good job. I had pants and long sleeve shirt on and a dust mask approved for fiberglass, but nothing for my eyes, they itched for a couple weeks. So I was wondering if there is another way of getting this stuff up?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-03, 02:37 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I know what you mean about the blown in insulation as I have had to move quite a bit of it here in this house, it is a thankless job. One way I've found that works pretty good is to take a shop-vac, the type without the bags in it, and suck it up with that. Then you can just empty it into a large trash bag or other. Otherwise I've found it very hard to handle as it is so loose that you can't pick it up economically.

As far as reuse I don't see a problem with it as long as it doesn't get wet and change the consistency of it. The moderator of this forum may have a better idea on that so keep checking in. Good Luck.

Old 06-01-03, 06:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
shop vac & a big trash can works well, I agree, if it hasn't gotten wet, I'd reuse it, same with the batts.

Old 06-01-03, 08:16 PM
bryan77
Visiting Guest
The batts are so old and compressed, they fall apart so using them is out of the question. But I may reuse the blown in stuff. Thanks for the replies.