Is Plywood Good For Sound Insulation?

Old 06-02-03, 06:12 PM
Madu
Visiting Guest
Is Plywood Good For Sound Insulation?

I am in the process of remodeling my kitchen. I have knocked down one partition masonry wall and building an island in its place. To allow for rerouting the pipe runs, I needed to build a drop-down ceiling, about 9 in. (H) x 17 in. (W) x 10 ft. (L). My kitchen pipes are shared with my upstairs neighbors (I live on the ground floor of a 4-story condo building). PVC was used to reroute the pipes, and they are kind of noisy when my neighbors use their kitchens. The drop-down ceiling is still open. I already wrapped the drainpipe with pipe insulation and duct tape, which did help in cutting down the noise. What I want to do now is put R-13 kraft faced batts in the drop-down ceiling, and then close it, first with 1/2 in. plywood and on top of that 1/2 in. drywall.

My question is, how effective is plywood for acoustical insulation! I am having a problem finding insulation boards, and have already bought all of the material. Any suggestions!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-03, 08:49 PM
What may help even more would be to wrap a layer of the R-13 around the drain pipe and secure it with wire ties or such. The plywood will make the final layer thicker, in conjunction with the drywall. The thicker layer will help. My house has 1.25 inch thick plaster walls and is quiet as a tomb.

Hope this helps.