Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

hot garage

Visiting Guest

06-10-03, 06:30 PM   #1  
scotthursh
hot garage

My garage is uninsulated and unheated. It gets very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. it is attached to the house. If i insulate the ceiling and walls will it make a significant difference in the summer temperature? Our dog likes it out there but in mid summer it gets too hot for her aor for me to work out there.

Thanks!:

Sponsored Links

NJ

06-10-03, 08:32 PM   #2  
The thermal effect or R-value insulation has is created by its ability to prohibit heat flow. In other words it prohibits heat in the house from leaving the house in the winter and prohibits heat from entering the house in the summer. Most people understand this concept but what they overlook is either heating or cooling is being provided in the house, whereas in the garage there is neither heating or cooling. I'd like you to keep this in mind because the garage is an unconditioned space.

Insulating the ceiling and walls of the garage should make things a lot more comfortable for you and your dog in the summer, as long as you do not provide a heat source for the garage. For example, let's say the garage door is made of metal. During the summer the sun beats down on the garage door making it hot, not warm, but hot. This heat is transferred into the garage and the insulation in the ceiling and walls of the garage keeps the heat inside the garage. Solution insulate the garage door. Another example is a garage window that lets in a lot of sunlight into the garage. Solution put a shade or blinds over the window. Open them when you're in the garage and close them when you're not.

These are examples of heat gains. In air conditioning the sizing of the unit is used to compensate for the heat gains in the house. Since the garage is unconditioned you have to restrict or limit the heat gains the garage will experience in order to make it comfortable for you and your dog. Insulating the ceiling and the walls of the garage is not enough.

Search this Thread