Proper Crawlspace Insulation

Old 06-15-03, 05:40 AM
sam1207
Visiting Guest

My house is built on a crawl space. Insulation consists of 1.5 to 2" of "foam" type blue board glued to all perimeter walls. No insulation was placed between floor joists. I have good ventilation and a vapor barrier. House is in the midwest.

My questions are:

1-Why weren't the floor joists insulated also? Was this an oversight?

2-Is it ok to add insulation between floor joists with my current system and what type is best to use?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-03, 08:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello sam1207. Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site.

One source of information for the proper type of insulation to use is the locate building material supply retailers. Not the giant hardware chains.

Those local suppliers to the insulation contractors whom provide the installation services. These are also professionals whom, like the pros in this forum, whom can help you select the correct material to use.

To the best of my knownledge, cost savings are the primary reasons why builders do not insulate raised floor foundations.

This forum also contains several other questions on this topic. Reading those questions and the replies offered within them will help to provide you with answers.

Our web sites pro will also help you as well as the other members with knowledge and experiences on insulation. Check back on your question several times over the next week for additional replies.

Old 06-17-03, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crawl way

The way I look at it dont put insulation in the floor joist at all it dont work that way. I would look and see if you have a good 6 mil poly down on the ground. That is overlaped about 2' and tape the seams. now you say you have some insulation on the walls ok. But you want to cut some like blocks of roll insulation R19 and put them up in the joist just on the sill plate all around the home. also close all the vents. Go here for some good info. http://www.ornl.gov/roofs+walls/hand...cts/index.html

http://www.taunton.com/finehomebuild...ges/h00107.asp

ED

Old 06-17-03, 04:38 PM
sam1207
Visiting Guest

Thanks for the responses.

So ED your opinion is not to insulate fully between the joists. I don't understand when you say it won't work that way?

I have the vapor barrier down like you describe. I also close my vents off each fall.

Placing isulation on the sill plates as you described- Will this make the floor in the house feel warm? My main concern is that the floors never feel warm, like I'm losing heat out of them and with the high cost of natural gas I want to be as energy efficient as possible. I'm in the mid-west and winters can get cold here.

Any other suggestions/comments? Always welcome.

Old 06-18-03, 02:17 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
crawl way

I base this on the fact that I have a hvac shop up there in Missouri and my boys are running it. For many many years we tried all of the ways to do it and found out that this works best.The poly down on the ground insulation on the walls all vents if there closed. Insulation in the joist space just up there on the sill plate. Yes this will help warm the floors. Most of the time here we run the duct work in the crawl way also just metal and cut two registers for out lets and get a small return from it This also warms the floors and makes the whole crawl way like a big heat sink to hold the heat. Now when you open the vent in the summer think!!!!!! The warm humidit air comes in on the cooler poly on the ground and just builds up the humidity down there. Dont open them at all and block them with some insulation. If your duct work is not down there so you can get an outlet get a small dehumidifier and run it down there some ED

Old 06-18-03, 05:25 PM
sam1207
Visiting Guest
Proper Crawl Space Insulation

Thanks much for the added info Ed. What you say makes alot of sense.

Regards-Sam