Insulating Porch Ceiling

Old 07-26-03, 12:49 PM
Big Julie
Visiting Guest
Insulating Porch Ceiling

My daughter's bedroom over-hangs our front porch. The porch is enclosed, but is by no means temperature sealed, so that portion of the floor in her room gets noticably cold in the winter.
There is a lowered ceiling(original) over the porch, that I don't want to tear out, so I am looking at blowing insulation in from below.
What's going to be the best way to go about this? Dimensions are 7' across, by 25' side to side, and 23" deep.
I'm thinking maybe of dividing the length into thirds, making a couple cut-outs big enough to get my head through, so I can see what I'm doing, and then finishing those areas, once cut-outs are replaced, through a smaller, plugable hole.
Will the typical rental blower shoot that far(approx 8')? I've never used one before.

Old 07-27-03, 03:27 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Can't you remove the fascia board or siding just above the porch, and push insulation batts between the joists the 7' depth?

Old 07-27-03, 08:38 AM
Big Julie
Visiting Guest
From what I can see from the small hole I made at one end, the joists run the 25' length.

I realize filling the 23" is way over-kill, but I really don't want to have to tear the whole ceiling out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: