Should I vent an attic w/no insulation?

Old 07-25-03, 02:35 PM
spenceRI
Visiting Guest
Should I vent an attic w/no insulation?

The original structure of our house is a small 1920's cottage. The roof here is very simple, 2 steep sides on a box with no dormers. It's not vented in any way and there's no access to the small attic space. All original plaster and lath inside.

To let trapped heat escape (the upstairs gets hot) we recently installed 2 venting skylights. I was thinking of also placing a gable vent on each end as the roof collects a ton of heat in the summer.

As there is no insulation in the roof/attic, would venting this space be a bad thing come winter? I have to rip off the siding shingles for another project so this would be a perfect time to punch a few holes... thanks, -spence

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-03, 08:10 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If there is no insulation in the attic floor, then you do not have to vent the roof. If your intent is to insulate in the future then installing vents would be prudent. The reason why ventilation is requred when insulation is present is because the thermal effect of insulation is accomplished by retaining heat inside the insulation. This retention of heat increases the probability of condensation occurring on the insulation and surrounding surfaces. You will notice that I said on the insulation and not inside the insulation. The way condensation occurs with insulation is on either side of the insulation and then the moisture permeates the insulation.

Old 07-26-03, 06:11 AM
spenceRI
Visiting Guest
I guess the question is, if I don't add any insulation...would venting the roof be a bad thing in the winter? Would it let too much cold air in, or would it not make much of a difference?

My thought was that the vents would let trapped heat escape keeping the upstairs cooler in the summer. I don't think it would be possible to insulate without a major project. The attic space is small and the only access would be through the little 12" cuts for the vents...

thanks for your help,

-spence