Insulation basement ceiling

Old 08-05-03, 10:13 AM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Insulation basement ceiling

I want to insulate my basement ceiling to help keep the first floor warmer in winter. Right now there is nothing - I can see the bottom of the first floor's subfloor. What's the best way to do this? I assume just getting the pink fiberglass rolls, but I'm confused about the difference between the ones with the brown paper on 1 side and the ones without any paper. Which kind would I use? And if I use the one with the brown paper, does the paper side go up or down? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-03, 01:20 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The insulation with the brown paper on one side is also known as FACED insulation and if you were to tear back a piece of it you would see a tar like substance which acts as a vapor barrier.

The insulation without the brown paper is also known as UNFACED insulation. This insulation does not have a vapor barrier.

You could use either one in this application because the temperature difference between the upstairs and the basement is not that great. If you decide to use one with the brown paper(vapor barrier), then the paper faces upwards towards the subflooring.

Old 08-06-03, 10:00 AM
I
Will doing this help at all? We keep the house set at 70 and the basement is usually around 60-65 in the winter. We have vinyl floors on about half the first floor and they get cold even with socks on!

Old 08-06-03, 06:08 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
A five to ten degree difference the insulation is not going to make that much of a difference in your comfort on the vynal floor.