Insulate sun porch ceiling

Old 08-07-03, 03:31 PM
Ray
Visiting Guest
Insulate sun porch ceiling

I am looking to put ceiling tiles up in a sun porch.

The sun porch is not insulated. I want to insulate it so I can work there year-round. I have been searching for 12” by 12” acoustic, or otherwise insulated ceiling tiles -- something that I can put up myself. I have not had much luck. The only tiles I have found that may fit the bill are at <http://doityourself.com/store/6189864x64.htm>

These are listed as: 12 X 12 X 1/2 Classic Thermo tiles with bevel edge.

Is anyone familiar with these tiles? Does “Thermo” mean they are insulated? Does “bevel edge” mean they interlock? Can I put them up using a staple gun? (The current ceiling is old wood paneling.)

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ray

Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-03, 05:36 AM
Just some thoughts:

I am not sure what your ceiling is now or how much space there is, but insulating inside the space over the ceiling would give you a higher degree of insulation if you blow it in than attaching thin tiles. Alternatively, you could put in a dropped ceiling and use the insulated tiles that go with it. Some of them had 3 - 6 inches of insulation on them. At least you could add batt insulation on top of the dropped ceiling.

Old 08-13-03, 12:56 PM
Ray
Visiting Guest
Sunporch insualtion

The current ceiling is wood panels. I thought it would be fairly easy to attach acoustic tiles directly to it. A drop ceiling is not an option because to windows are too high. I will look into blowing insulation above the ceiling. Is there any way I can do that myself or must I use a professional?

Ray

Old 08-13-03, 08:01 PM
You ought to be able to DIY. Some places, such as HD, rent blower units with the sale of the insulation.

Hope this helps.