Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

dryer vent thru wall with insulation

Visiting Guest

08-08-03, 11:29 AM   #1  
gregdam
dryer vent thru wall with insulation

I'm remodeling a first floor bathroom, I'm moving a washer and dryer up from the basement into this new remodeled bathroom.
The dryer vent is going to be going thru a wood framed wall to the outside. I'm going to be putting in the insulation (batts) in the wall this weekend. My question is.. Is there any specified clearences for insulation around the dryer vent? Does the dryer vent create enough heat to start a fire on batt insulation?
Or can the insulation go right next to the dryer vent?
Thanks

Sponsored Links

SC

08-09-03, 04:03 PM   #2  
I don't know of any reason why the dryer vent could not go next to a combustible material. I have never seen insulated pipe for dryer vents. The discharge temperature is not so high. The plastic deflectors that go on the end of the vents would melt at much of a temperature.

HTH

Visiting Guest

08-09-03, 04:26 PM   #3  
gregdam
Thanks, installation of the insulation is done.
The dryer vent itself is not insulated.
I was just wondering about putting insulation next to the metal duct.
Thanks again for the reply

MO

08-10-03, 01:19 PM   #4  
Vent dryer

About the the only thing on a dryer vent you have to look out for . Is that the pipe is not over 15' long to ouside. Count all L as 5'and that the outside outlet is not by the AC outdoor unit. ED

Visiting Guest

08-10-03, 09:30 PM   #5  
gregdam
Thamks for the repy.
the run is less the fifteen feet, and there are no condensers near
the outlet. Rock is going up this week, remodel plans are back on track on track.
Thanks again for the reply

Search this Thread