Duct & Garage door insulation

Old 09-03-03, 08:46 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct & Garage door insulation

I have a double garage on a lower level with a 9 1/2 ft. ceiling. Two outside walls are vary from 6 ft. above grade to 2 ft. above grade. They have blown in cellulos insulation (2x4 walls). The 9 ft. x 9 ft. doors appear to be a wood venier type. The cieling has 1 1/2" batt type insulation (bedrooms above). The 4th wall is an interior wall to the basement and the top 2 feet is interior to the main living area. This wall also has blown in cellulos insulation. It has 4-16" x 30" single payne windows. I am located in Kansas City.

My main garage is upstairs so this garage is used to keep one car that is driven infrequentyl and I work there when I have automotive or other work to do.

I have 2 heat/AC ducts that I most always keep closed. With the ducts closed in the summer it stays about 70 degrees and in the coldest part of the winter it stays 40 -50 degrees.

I am considering insulating the exposed sheet metal air returns and forced air ducts that supply the bedrooms above. I would prefer to use some type foam board that I could use adheasive to hold them to the sheet metal. I would like to be able to paint them if possible or practical.

Do you have any suggestions for the type of insulation,
thickness, vapor barrier, & type of adheasive?

I have considered adding foam board to the garage doors. Do you have suggestions for type of material, & vapor barrier? I am considering holding the foam board in place with sheet rock screws and fender washers or wood strips. This way if a section were damaged it could be easily replaced. Painting would be desirable here also if possible or practical.

Do you think these efforts will be worth the effort and expence? If you recomend vapor barriers which side do they go on? Any other suggestions or comments are welcome.

Thank you for your reply.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-03, 05:50 PM
R
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would use rigid fiberglass board insulation for both the garage doors and ductwork. The rigid board insulation usually comes with a foil covering, which is your vapor barrier. You'll find it on both sides of the insulation. For adhering it to the ductwork, I like using liquid nails. For the garage doors, you may want to use screws.