removing lap siding

Old 09-30-03, 04:01 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question removing lap siding

I've got an old home (1909 dutch colonial), and am going to reside with vinyl...in trying to keep as much of the historical integrity of the home as I can, I've suggested to the carpenters that they "build out" all the trim and freeze boards, so that when they apply the new siding over the existing wood clapboard siding, the siding sits behind the trim.......would I lose too much insulation value if I were to have them tear off the old clapboard and just apply new siding?????....( that would save building out all the trim)...under the old siding is wood board sheathing......and the home has blown in insulation....
any comments would be appreciated...

Old 09-30-03, 08:39 AM
C
If you tear off the existing siding, won't the blown in wall insulation fall out?

Old 09-30-03, 02:42 PM
K
tearing off old siding

well, I wouldn't think so....the insulation is blown in between the sheathing underneath of the clapboard siding, and the plaster walls inside......am I wrong to think this????????
Still wondering about the Rvalue loss....I know on new housing, all you get is osb sheathing, some type of wrap and vinyl siding......
comments welcome

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: