Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

knee wall insulation

masher22's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-09-03, 06:41 PM   #1  
knee wall insulation

hello,i just had my roof replaced,its a cape cod style house with a finished knotty pine walls in the upstairs..i want to insulate and vent as best i can. ok now the question..i have access doors to the attic spaces on both sides of the upstairs room,i noticed that i have loose insulation in between the floor joists and there is foil faced insulation in between the knee wall studs..the foil insulation is in bad shape..ripped and falling of the walls.i want to replace with new insulation but i,m confused on what to use, faced, non faced ,facing what way,i seem to be finding different answers..the walls are 2+4 and the foil is facing out..the label reads wool insulation. also the loose is only about 4 inchs deep.and looks like ground up card board??when the roof was done they installed the square type vents.4 on each side of roof,i have no softfits just gable vents..there is a over hang in front of the house..should i install soft vents??what route should i go..thanks.

Last edited by masher22; 10-09-03 at 07:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
resercon's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,873

10-10-03, 09:16 PM   #2  

This is a site that illustrates a drip edge vent. It would have been nice if you would have asked this question before you installed the new roof. You can still do it and you might want to contact the roofer who did your roof to do it for you.

The insulation on our knee wall is a mineral wool and the loose fill insulation in the floor joists is cellulose. You can replace the mineral wool with fiberglass insulation with either foil or paper face towards the room. This insulation should stay in place by friction. If the cavities between the studs in the knee wall are too far apart to hold the insulation on place, then you can use joist hangers to keep the insulation in place. You can go to any home improvement store where you buy the insulation and ask for them and how to use them.

You can add more cellulose insulation between the joists. If you find it difficult getting some, try looking at tool rental stores who rent out equipment for blowing in insulation, they usually sell cellulose.

RaisinsFly's Avatar
Visiting Guest

Posts: n/a

10-24-03, 07:32 AM   #3  
knee wall insulation

I agree with resurcon, but i would like to add that most places (home depot....etc) rent out the blower for the cellulose insulation for free with purchase of there insulation.

Search this Thread