Adding Attic Insulation

Old 10-21-03, 11:26 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
Adding Attic Insulation

I have a 50s ranch with 2x6 framing in the ceiling filled with insulation. The 3 inches next to the ceiling sheetrock is what looks like loose-fill cellulose or rock wool. A layer of 2.5 inch fiberglass has been placed over that, bringing the level of the insulation up even with the tops of the joists in the attic. There is no vapor barrier on the attic side of the sheetrock.

The cellulose/rockwool insulation is full of old mouse tunnels. I think the mouse infestation is over. The attic has gable vents on either end only, no ridge or soffic vents.

My plan is to lay unfaced fiberglass, R-25, over the top of everything, perpendicular to the joists. Does this sound like a good plan? Any other advice?

Thankx!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-03, 12:58 PM
insulation

I think it best if you work rafter vents down to the overhang first . They come in cardboard and foam.This will let the air come up from the over hang Then cut some vents in the overhang there to let some air in for the gable vents . Then put that R-25 on top across the rafters as you planed. There is a paint that you can put on the ceiling that will work as a V/B for you ED

Old 10-22-03, 08:02 PM
lrg51
Visiting Guest
Rafter vents

Ed, I am also installing rafter vents. Should the rafter vent extend over and beyond the top wall plate an inch or so? I heard that insulation should cover the top of the wall plate. Seems logical... Just wondering.

Old 10-23-03, 09:54 AM
Vents

You want the rafter vents to go down say 3"or4" over the top wall plate for sure So if you push insulation back in there the air from the over hang can still get into the attic.

On what you have heard . Yes its right for new homes. But when we do that the truss line or ceiling line goes right on out to the facia board then you add a knee brace there from the wall plate on up to the roof line. We still use the rafter vents also.To make sure the vents in the over hang dont get blocked off with the insulation there over the wall plate when your going for a R-30 or R 40 ED