REALLY necessary ?

Old 10-25-03, 03:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
REALLY necessary ?

I am in the midst of finishing my basement in the North East.
I have already framed my walls with steel studs on 16" centers. Set about an inch off the block walls. 3 of my walls are below grade one is above grade.

The walls below grade do extend about 18" above grade and one side has 3 small windows. Do these walls really need insulation. Being the earth provides its own insulation. At its coldest the basement was 50 degrees. Since then I have added a Dricore floor R5 value when finished carpet will go on top of that so the floor should not be cold.

I will insulate the open wall with R13 and I have about an 1" air space intbetween the wall and the insulation. For this I will use Johns Manville Encapusalted insultation as it has the vapor barrier built in and is well suited for basements.

The basement will be a fun room only, pool table, fish tank, work out equipment,

Your thoughts on the three below grade walls.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-03, 04:25 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
It is easier, simpler, and cheaper to install the insulation when the walls are open. It seems to be an inexpensive solution to temperature regulation, rather than skip the insulation and be chilled or hot later.