insulating interior walls

Old 11-10-03, 05:25 AM
DSF
Visiting Guest
Talking insulating interior walls

I just moved into a brick twin. To my dismay, I discovered that the exterior walls consist of the brick on the outside, and about 3/4 to 1 inch of plaster on the inside. No studs. Centered on this wall is a radiator, with double pipes on either side (for the radiators upstairs), and a double set of windows. I would like to add insulation for heat/cooling retention, noise reduction, and maybe add some outlets in that wall. Can I just mount furring strips, and put styrofoam insulation panels in between? Do I need to line the wall with plastic first? Or do I need to use regular 2x4 studs? Any help is appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-03, 05:52 AM
It seems that what you intend to do is to build new interior walls. I would go with 2x4 or 2x6 and gain the fuller benefit of insulation and space to mount outlets and run wire. Any other modifications will differ only in degree.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-10-03, 12:44 PM
DSF
Visiting Guest
Would I put regular faced insulation or styrofoam between the existing wall and the radiator pipes? By studding out the walls with 2x4's, they will be between the old and new walls, and I don't want them to freeze. I tend to keep my house on the cooler side.