Worth it?

Old 11-10-03, 06:56 AM
Worth it?

I have a new 10x24 addition to my kitchen that has a slope roof that meets the original part of the house. I insulated the ceiling with R-19 fiberglas batts, the walls with R-13, all of course, with kraft-facing. I also installed nine recessed lights in the new ceiling so I had to small pieces of insulation as best as possible around the housings; invariable, there aer probably small pockets where the ft is not as tight as you would like it.

Anyway, last night at Lowe's I saw 4' x 13 5/8" by 3/4" white styrofoam sheets that are intended to fit between furring strips.

I though these might be a good way to reduce whatever drafts come in through a) the tiny spaces between the joists and the insulation, where for example, the rafter cavity may have been like a miilimeter or two wider than the insulation batt, or b) around the canister housings, where I had to jerry-rig teh insulation.

At the same time, I'm thinking the canisters go right up to the styrofoam baffles so there is nothing other than the metal of the cannister, and a flood light bulb, to stop a draft coming in from above the light fixture.

Question: gven this info, is it a waste to install these white sheets bewteen the furring strips? The materials would only cost $30 or so total.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-03, 11:22 AM
Most canister lamps specify that insulation must approach no closer than 3" to avoid fire hazard. Only IC (insulated can) models can be insulated, and they usually have very little air leakage.

Search this Thread