Basement: faced insulation PLUS plastic sheeting?

Old 11-12-03, 09:53 AM
bobbyo8
Visiting Guest
Basement: faced insulation PLUS plastic sheeting?

If I get faced insulation batting and staple the tabs to my 2x4 studs, do I need to add 6mil poly as a vapor barrier before I sheetrock too?
Should I put a bead of caulk along each stud before I staple the facing to make it really seal good?

I haven't bought the faced insulation yet, I just would like to know what would be best (and of course easiest to install and/or cheapest!)

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-03, 12:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
V/B

We just put a 2mil poly over the paper and studs as one big sheet then dry wall. Dont caulk. ED

Old 11-17-03, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bobby, the answer to your question is determined by where in the country you live. Ed is in Fla, a very humid place year round and that is why I'm sure that the poly is recommended over the paper faced insulation. Here in the midwest it more of a either or situation. If you're in a basement we typically use unfaced insulation with a poly barrier installed over the studs prior to sheetrocking. On above grade exterior walls faced insulation is used without a poly barrier. Check out the DOE's (Dept of Energy) website for correct regional recommendations.

Oh yeah, like Ed said, no caulk!