Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

attic stairwell

Visiting Guest

11-17-03, 10:10 AM   #1  
caddis
attic stairwell

I have an attic stairwell ceiling that I need to insulate. The ceiling/roof is two inch T&G. I would like to use rigid insulation and face with 1/2 drywall. I plan on using 3 1/2 inch rigid. My question(s) is- Do I need to fur out the ceiling to vent the material, or should I just glue directly to the T&G. Also, is it ok to screw through the rigid material in order to fasten the drywall to the ceiling, or should I frame it out and use the rigid between. Thanks!

Sponsored Links

SC

11-17-03, 12:15 PM   #2  
Why not put the insulation on the other side and set it in between the framing memebers?

Rigid insulation is supposed to be attached without any trouble at all.

Visiting Guest

11-17-03, 12:45 PM   #3  
caddis
Cannot put insulation on the other as their is no other side, that is to say the other side is the roof/shingles. The T&G is all there is, no other framing. I guess my question should be- Is it ok to glue and screw the rigid and drywall directly to the T&G, which is the only roof sheathing, or is there a better way?
thanks again, steve.

SC

11-17-03, 04:21 PM   #4  
I understand your arrangement now. Glue and screw would be the best way I can think of.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread