First snow -- obvious heat loss?

Old 12-03-03, 04:10 AM
LycanR
Visiting Guest
First snow -- obvious heat loss?

I experienced my first snow in my new house last night. When I went out to walk the dog I noticed that the snow coated the grass evenly except for there is an obvious line all around my house (for about 1.5 feet) where there is no snow. I have no awning (I think that's what it's called -- a lip around the entire house where the gutters attach (I do have gutters)) so I don't want to say that snow didn't fall there. Is this normal? Perhaps basements naturally radiate a little heat causing this? I have a feeling that where the house and basement walls come together there is some heat loss? I don't have any insulation in the basement, would it be advisable to put some above the basement walls?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-03, 06:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
A house has thermal mass. The heat thrown off by the house will keep snow from staying next to it, until such time as the outdoor temperature gets cold enough to cool the exterior of the house enough to allow the snow to stay.

Old 12-05-03, 06:04 AM
MusicField
Visiting Guest
Insulating the rim joist area and the basement walls will reduce heat loss from the house.

Here is a good link for info on basement insulation:

http://www.buildingscience.com/resou...on_systems.pdf