Welcome to the DoItYourself Forums!

To post questions, help other DIYers and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our DIY community. It's free!

Rim Joist insulation

Visiting Guest

12-05-03, 08:31 AM   #1  
JRRR.
Rim Joist insulation

What is the general consensus on insulating the rim joist areas. I have heard conflicting opinions. One is that insulating with fiberglass batts doesnt seal the area effectively causing moisture to be trapped at rim joist area causing rot. Another is that the only way to insulate this area is with foam making sure there is no void areas. I have also heard that insulating this area is not really worth it. I have a finished basement in the NYC area with a drop ceiling that I heat to 60F in the winter. At the present time there is no insulation at the rim joist and was looking to upgrade. Is it worth it? Can I use fiberglass batts and face the vapor retarder towards the heated area? Thanks ahead of time.

Sponsored Links

SC

12-05-03, 01:23 PM   #2  
Can I use fiberglass batts and face the vapor retarder towards the heated area?
I would. Otherwise, you have an uninsulated place to lose your heat. The vapor barrier generally goes toward the heated area.

Hope this helps.

MO

12-08-03, 01:21 PM   #3  
insulation

For sure put insulation in the joist space on the sill plate all around the home.Use a R 19 paper side to the inside of the home . If you dont just think that there is only a 1 1/2" of wood and the siding between you and the outside cold

Search this Thread