Foam insulation on inside of closet

Old 12-09-03, 12:19 PM
sbj402
Visiting Guest
Question Foam insulation on inside of closet

I have a small corner coat closet which is poorly insulated (the house is brick). I have recently noticed condensation and mildew starting to form. Since it's a closet and I'm not too concerned with asethics, I was considering using foamboard insulation( I guess just tacking it to the wall inside the closet). My chief concern is that condensation and mildew will form between the wall and the foamboard, causing a bigger mess. Any ideas on this approach or another strategy would be appreciated. Trying to avoid tearing down any walls if possible. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-03, 03:07 PM
The first step is to eliminate the moisture condensing in the closet. It may be that insulating the wall will accomplish that end.

Condensation should not form on the foamboard since it will insulate the cool brick wall from the heated air. Even foamboard must be covered with a suitable fire barrier when in a living space. Generally, this would be sheetrock.

It may be a better plan to frame the wall, use fiberglass batts, then sheetrock.

Hope this helps.